New to TikTok? Unsure about how it works? Fear not. Here’s your complete beginner’s guide on how to get started on the video-sharing App.
1. First things first, you’ll need to download the TikTok app for iOS or Android and create an account. There are multiple ways to do this; use your phone number, email, Facebook or Instagram account.
2. Now that your account is ready to go, TikTok will offer a quick tutorial and you can then start browsing the videos uploaded by other users for inspiration. There are two main feeds of content: ‘For You’ – which features videos determined by the app’s algorithm, and ‘Following’ – which features videos from people you choose to follow.
3. Ready to share your first TikTok? Simply click the plus symbol at the bottom of the app and the camera will open for you to record your video. If it’s a lip-sync video you want to create, you have the option to add a song before you start recording. Otherwise feel free to record and add your music track later on.
4. Time to edit. Similarly to Snapchat and Instagram Stories, TikTok has an array of effects and filters which you can apply to your videos. Tap ‘Effects’ on the bottom left-hand side to change your hair colour, add a beard, and much more. You can also select ‘Filters’ on the right-hand hand side, which as the name suggests, adds various filters on top of your video.
5. Now you’ve mastered creating and editing your own videos, you can also experiment with the other features of TikTok. Have a go at recording duets, which is where the screen splits in half and you sing the same song as another creator. Or you can take on #Challenges, which invite users to share videos around the same theme using a particular hashtag.
6. And you’re ready to go! You can keep track of how many people have watched your TikToks by checking out the view numbers on your profile. You can also tap the notifications icon at the bottom of your home screen to see who has commented or liked your videos.